How to File a Workers' Compensation Claim in Oregon

How to File a Workers' Compensation Claim in Oregon

There are essentially three ways to file a workers' compensation claim in Oregon:

1.  Through the Employer

The most common way to file a workers' compensation claim is through your employer.  This generally involves filling out and signing an 801 Form which the employer then sends to their workers' comp insurer for investigation.

Your employer must have 801 Forms on hand for when an injury is reported.  They should give you one immediately upon reporting your injury. If they do not, I recommend seeking medical attention as soon as possible and using an 827 Form at the doctor office to file your claim.

2.  Through the Doctor

Another common way to file a claim for workers' compensation benefits in Oregon is through your doctor's office.  Most doctors will ask you if your injury is work related.  If you answer yes, they will complete an 827 Form which you will also sign.  This form gets sent directly to the workers' comp insurer by the doctor's office.  Filling out an 827 Form at your doctor office counts as officially filing a claim.

3.  Through the Workers' Compensation Board

A final way to file a claim is directly through the Workers' Compensation Board of Oregon.  This is a "last resort" place to file a claim and usually only is needed when your employer refuses to acknowledge your claim or does not have workers' compensation insurer.  (It is illegal for an employer to not carry workers' compensation coverage for its employees.)

If you are in this situation, I recommend contacting a workers' compensation attorney or the Oregon Ombudsman for Injured Workers.

My phone number if (503) 975-5535 if you have any questions or need assistance with a claim.


Popular Posts